Magnanimously homeschooling, worshiping, creating.......

Join us on a journey of faith, healing, learning to live with part of our hearts missing, and recovery, as our family rebuilds our lives, after our son's long battle with cancer....and his eventual rise on eagle's wings into Heaven...victory is his...he is serving the King!!!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

home milled flour


When I was a little girl, I used to love old fasion type stories and the homemade food they prepared and ate. You could say I have a bit of interest in little house on the prairie type food . Today, people call it a simpler way of life. I am not sure if simple is the right word but there is something in me and many others that is drawn to wholesome, home made goodness. I can't explain it, but I am so glad I have a grain mill now, since I especially want to enrich Bryce's diet more than ever with wholesome foods. Although good nutrition is nothing new in this house I do have to step it up a notch. Admittedly, I have had seasons of increased laziness in this area as well. Now, I am learning and relearning many things about nutrition, cancer and ways to help his body fight that cancer with proper foods.


Last year I invested in a grain mill and waited a long time to get started as it sat for some time this summer as one can imagine. Finally, I have had a day to schedule in a moment to pre-grind some flour for the freezer. The mill does all the work and it's loud so there is no relaxation during that particular part and yet the rich, nutty smell of the flour waifs into my nose...the warm, soft feel of the flour in my fingers after it's done. (the kids love that part) The taste of home made waffles, muffins and other goodies with fresh milled flour...I can hardly eat the store bought now. It is incomparable.


One of the best things I love best about it is having children who love to make things with me. All the kids get their turn, but today my daughter, my 'mini-me' is the icing on the home milled flour...see for yourself.







No comments:

Labels

2015 Project (4) abundant blessings and thankfulness (31) adventures with two kitties (2) artzy (3) autoimmune disease (1) backyard (1) baking (2) binding quilt (1) birds (10) birthday blitz (22) blendtec (2) boyz tuff (10) braveheart (44) Braveheart in Heaven (35) braveheart memory (9) cancer (55) carz r kool (5) cats love to quilt too (6) Christmas blessings (10) churndash block (1) classical conversations (3) co-op (2) college (9) cooking (9) craftzy (13) Crochet Creations (1) crochetz (25) crock pot (4) daddy (6) damsel girl (63) Daughter's quilt (2) dollhouse (4) dylan (21) exchange student from Japan (3) family (43) father/son (6) favorite products (3) field trip (7) flashback friday (3) flowers (1) flying (6) free motion quilting (7) friendship (15) fundraiser (4) GAPS (1) garden (26) getting ready for transplant (8) gluten free (4) goals (2) grandma's the best (4) grieving (2) hand stitching (1) Hashimoto's Thyroididtis (1) healer (2) history (1) holiday (7) homemade (21) hypothyroidism (1) immune healing diet (11) juicing and raw foods (4) just musing (12) just sayin' (2) karate (2) keepers of the faith (5) kindle (3) learning adventures (36) life's a journey (1) machine quilting blog hop (3) MAGNANIMOUS (5) Magnanimous Photography (5) making it up as i go (1) marvelous milestones (31) milestones (1) mother/daughter (8) movie mania (3) music (14) nature (55) new beginnings (5) ninja boy (1) nutrition (15) organizing (5) photography (29) poetry (3) practice makes progress (2) project 2017 (1) quilt project 2017 (5) quilting (9) quilting project 2018 (3) reading adventures (38) recipe (12) recipe created by me (2) relapse (6) review (11) scouts (7) seasons (18) sewing (10) soft lovlies (1) spiritual (17) still life photography (1) T agent (25) teens (6) the kidletz (7) The Plan (27) thrifty (5) traditions (1) transplant journey (10) update (30) weight loss (21) wordless weds (22)

Why MAGNANIMOUS?

Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of the American Language defines Magnanimity as such:
MAGNANIM'ITY, n. [L. magnanimitas; magnus, great, and animus, mind.] Greatness of mind; that elevation or dignity of soul, which encounters danger and trouble with tranquillity and firmness, which raises the possessor above revenge, and makes him delight in acts of benevolence, which makes him disdain injustice and meanness, and prompts him to sacrifice personal ease, interest and safety for the accomplishment of useful and noble objects.